US and Iran Set for Second Round of Nuclear Talks in Geneva

The United States and Iran are expected to hold their second round of talks on Iran’s nuclear program on Tuesday in Geneva. This is going to happen at that time when the US has increased its presence in the Middle East. US President Donald Trump has urged Iran to limit its nuclear program. Iran has said it would respond with its own attack if that happens. Trump has also criticized Iran over its crackdown on recent nationwide protests.

The first round of talks was held on February 6 in Oman. The discussions were indirect. American and Iranian officials did not meet face-to-face. It is not yet clear how Tuesday’s talks in Geneva will be arranged.

Trump’s envoys, Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, are traveling for the new round of discussions. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the US hopes to reach a deal, even though the process is difficult. He said the president prefers peaceful and negotiated solutions.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi is leading the Iranian team. He met with the head of the UN nuclear watchdog in Geneva before the talks. Araghchi said Iran has serious proposals for a fair deal but will not give in to pressure or threats.

Oman continues to play an important role as a mediator. Oman’s Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi recently met with senior Iranian official Ali Larijani to discuss the earlier talks and possible next steps.

In the past, communication between the US and Iran has often been indirect. In 2019, Japan’s then prime minister Shinzo Abe tried to deliver a letter from Trump to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who refused to accept it.

 

Military Activity Raises Tensions

At the same time, Iran has started new naval drills. The country’s Revolutionary Guard began exercises in the Strait of Hormuz, the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. These waterways are very important for global trade. Around 20% of the world’s oil passes through the Strait of Hormuz.

Shipping groups have warned that live-fire drills may take place in the area. This is the second such warning in recent weeks.

Last week, Trump announced that the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, would be sent to the Middle East. It will join the USS Abraham Lincoln and other US warships already in the region.

Tensions have already led to incidents. US forces recently shot down an Iranian drone that came close to an American warship. Iran also tried to stop a US-flagged ship in the Strait of Hormuz.

Gulf countries have warned that any attack could lead to a wider regional conflict. The Middle East is still dealing with the impact of the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza.

The US wants a new agreement that limits Iran’s nuclear activities and ensures it does not develop nuclear weapons. Iran says its nuclear program is peaceful and meant only for energy and research.

Before a brief war in June between Israel and Iran, Tehran had enriched uranium up to 60% purity. This level is close to weapons-grade, which has raised concerns in the West. During that conflict, the US bombed Iranian nuclear sites, and Israel targeted Iran’s air defenses and missile systems.

Iran says any new deal must include relief from international sanctions, especially those led by the United States. Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Majid Takht-Ravanchi said the US must show it is serious about reaching an agreement. He added that Iran is ready to discuss its nuclear program if sanctions are also part of the talks.

As both sides return to the table in Geneva, the world will be watching closely to see whether diplomacy can reduce tensions in the region.